Some Facts about Halotherapy
Halotherapy is one of the methods of climatotherapy, based on the positive influence of the microclimate of some natural and artificial caves on the course of a number of diseases.
Natural salt caves differ from those that are represented in large numbers. There are a lot of salt rooms!
Halotherapy presupposes that a person is located in a special salt cave for a certain time, where he breathes a “healthy” air.
Other room names: salt-chamber, speleo-camera.
According to the manufacturers, staying in a salt room positively affects human health:
- the immune response is strengthened;
- allergy symptoms decrease;
- dermatological, neurological diseases disappear.
The method of treatment of the microclimate of caves can be effective, but it is hardly a panacea. Important: to achieve a therapeutic effect, it is necessary to take a course of 15-20 sessions for 40-60 minutes. Not everyone can attend halo-chambers.
- All the diseases in an acute stage;
- Chronic diseases in the acute stage;
- Exacerbation of bronchial asthma and lack of control over it;
- Cachexia of any origin (severe exhaustion);
- Malignant neoplasms (if present or suggested);
- Frequent recurring or profuse bleeding of various origin, hemoptysis and tendency to it;
- All forms of tuberculosis in the active stage;
- Postponed lung abscess with residual phenomena;
- Severe emphysema of the lungs, respiratory failure of 2-3 degrees;
- Hypertensive disease II and III stage;
- Chronic heart failure;
- Acute and chronic kidney disease.
Unfortunately, nowadays, there have been no qualitative studies of the effectiveness of halotherapy in terms of evidence-based medicine, so it is impossible to talk about the guaranteed effect of such a treatment method.
It should be clearly understood that visiting the salt chambers is an auxiliary (secondary), not an obligatory method of treatment.
The basis for the treatment of bronchial asthma lies in basic therapy, and it cannot be replaced by halo- or speleo-therapy.
Salt chamber therapy does not cure you or your child of bronchial asthma, does not “clean” the body of allergens, does not take away atopic dermatitis. It is only able, along with quenching, to increase the adaptive body capacity.
It is far from a fact that after attending a course, the child will have a decrease in the number of exacerbations, or there will be a long-term remission of the disease. Conversely, when visiting a halo-chamber, a strong bronchospasm may occur or an attack of a strong cough may start.
Not all mothers bring fully healthy children in there, and this is an additional risk of getting ARVI, and therefore getting an exacerbation of asthma.
Also, we must remember that some owners of salt chambers do not fulfill all the necessary requirements for the maintenance of the premises. They are small in area, or there are too many people, which is also not good, not always the rooms are ventilated after each session.